Nexus 7 – Google’s Jellybean Tablet is the Winner While iPad Loses..
The Nexus 7 is in no exactly a true iPad competitor, but it’s definitely the hottest Android tablet in town. And while we can’t fairly compare Google’s and Apple’s devices since they’re essentially tablets that target different segments of prospective buyers, we can definitely check out how these two gadgets fare when it comes to accidental drops and water incidents
SquareTrade decided to put these two tablets to the test in three challenges: a regular drop, a knock off the table and an underwater dunk. While both devices survived the tests, the Nexus 7 came on top even though its build quality is questioned given its low price.
In each incident where dropping was involved, the iPad’s screen was cracked, mainly at one of its corners, while the Nexus 7 only got a few scratches on the back.
At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter what device is stronger – in our own Galaxy S3 vs iPhone 4S drop test the iPhone did slightly better than the new Galaxy model – and accident survivability shouldn’t be the main reason for buying a smartphone and/or a tablet. But it’s certainly good to remember that these precious devices, which can cost a lot of money, are still fragile, and you should make sure they don’t get dropped and/or drowned.
On that note, here are some fun facts about such tablet accidents as offered by SquareTrade, based on 2-year tablet claims data:
- 9 out of 10 tablet claims are due to drops and spills
- 1 in 3 reported broken tablets have cracked screen
- WATCH: The Nexus 7 Tablet Beats The iPad In Every Drop Test (AAPL, GOOG) (businessinsider.com)
- Nexus 7 vs iPad: water and drop tests won by Google’s Jelly Bean tablet (androidauthority.com)
- Nexus 7: more durable than the iPad (ubergizmo.com)
- Nexus 7 vs iPad fight gets wet (slashgear.com)
- Nexus 7 holds up better than iPad in drop, water-dunk tests (computerworld.co.nz)
- iPad vs. Nexus 7: Which Wins in a Tablet-Destruction Derby? (mashable.com)